Habits…I’m contemplating habits.
This was spurred by my morning routine. Each morning, while in the throes of getting dressed, I would find myself totally irritated that the clothes I wore yesterday were on my closet floor! Normally, by the time I go to bed each night, I’m completely exhausted and sloppy. Rather than let my clothes pile up (and consequently each morning finding myself irritated) I tried changing my habit. When I put my pajamas on each night, I would put my clothes in the hamper. I found myself surprisingly happier each morning! A simple fix!
Here are several definitions of what a habit is:
1. an acquired behavior pattern regularly followed until it has become almost involuntary: the habit of looking both ways before crossing the street
2. customary practice or use: Daily bathing is an American habit
3. a particular practice, custom, or usage: the habit of shaking hands
4. a dominant or regular disposition or tendency; prevailing character or quality: She has a habit of looking at the bright side of things
5. addiction, especially to narcotics (often preceded by the)
6. mental character or disposition: a habit of mind
Hhhmmmm….All of those definitions work for me. That’s what I want! A habit. Many habits. With the start of the new year, I wanted to start working out more. I love it so much. But with working full time, being a mommy, & a wife, it’s darn near impossible to find time to do yoga
or to work out. So, it’s back to habits. Seeing how I can change my habits to incorporate these areas into my life.
Andrew & I had to sit down and map out our schedules together. This was incredibly beneficial because it helped us have a better appreciation of how busy the other person was while also seeing “pockets” of time where we could potentially fit in activities we were wanting to throw into the mix. Andrew noticed my only “pocket” of time was BEFORE work.
So, I pulled up my big girl panties and scheduled a trainer to come to my house every Tuesday & Thursday at 5.30am. And…it’s becoming a habit. It’s not been but 2 weeks yet, but I’m really focused on keeping this a regular event in my calendar.
Next week, I’m going to write about another habit I’m trying to form…related to my diet.